Wednesday, July 1, 2009

On Movies

Partly to make sure my really negate post about Father's Day is moved down, and inspired by seeing Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen (and the critical response to it).... a post on movies.

First off, I loved Transformers 2 (I want to abbreviate it T2 but that is taken). I really enjoyed the first movie, and pretty much knew I'd be getting more of the same. It was a great ride, had some really cool visuals, some great lines, and a plot that was serviceable. Was it worth the 12 bucks it cost to see it - absolutely. But then it is a Micheal Bay movie, and I've loved every one of his films I've seen. (And as a note to Joe, should he read this - I love Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin too. :) )

I work at Blockbuster part time. I hear a lot of opinions of movies. And stuff like this gets trashed talked a lot. By critics too. And it annoys me to some extent - yeah the movie isn't the end of the world, but so what. I see a movie for entertainment... not for some searching for "art" that may or may not exist. For example, the only movie Woody Allen was involved in that I actually liked was Antz. I don't watch a lot of serious dramas either - as I said I watch movies to be entertained and and hour and a half or two or someone else's angst isn't that entertaining to me (with a few exceptions).

I don't mind formula movies (I'm a huge fan of sports movies, and enjoy romantic comedies... probably the two most formulaic genres in film). I love SF of any stripe (fantasy, Science Fiction or related). I admit I am very picky about the comedies I watch, and I tend to think of animated movies as a lesser art form than live action... so I only watch animated stuff I'm pretty sure I will enjoy based on previews and such.

Just because a movie is made for the masses, doesn't make it bad. I love the fact that Transformers is raking in the money when it is sitting at 20% as Rotten Tomatoes (whereas Up is at 97%, and I won't bother with that 'till it hits DVD).

The other movies I plan on seeing in a theater this year - GI Joe, Harry Potter and New Moon.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Hey, that's one more Woody Allen movie than I liked. :)

And I don't mind a brainless movie now and then, as long as I know it's going to be a brainless movie going in. I won't usually pay more than matinee $$$ for something like that, and more likely than not, I'll just use Netflix.

Joe said...

Can you say lowest common denominator?

Action movies can be smart but
forking over money for something as stupid as Transformers doesn't help action movies get better. It just makes them get worse.

Please, someone stop Michael Bay before it's too late!

Lord Mhoram said...

I don't worry about smart - I worry about entertaining. :)

Joe said...

Sad.