Thursday, January 11, 2007

Some musing and The Next Haul

Yeah, the infrequent part of the blog title is in full force. I find myself discouraged blogging, I never see comments; and maybe it's that I am so used to messageboards, and quick responces there, but when I cry my calls into the wilds of the internet, I guess I like to hear something back. *Shrug* At least I identified the problem. Now figuring out how to solve it.


***********

I turned 40 yesterday. We had been saving up for some time so I had a fair chunk of change for my birthday. And I like to shop, I'm a collector and I like to get things in great big handfulls. One of my niftiest birthday memeories was when I was 13 or 14. I got $100 for my birthday - so I went to Toad Tape (a now defunct record store - this was years before CDs). The average price on an LP was 6.99 - 7.99. With me spending a hundred, they gave me 10% off. I walked out of there with something like 14 records. Some are still my favotires - Romantic Warrior by Return to Forever was one of them.

Well as an adult, this last few days I repeated the process.

My wife has been the main PS2 user in our house. I mostly been playing on my computer (and now that I have a 3-d card, I can get some decent ones). Well we got a computer game that the wife was interested in - Fable. So if she is going to be on the computer that means I get the PS2. So I needed some games.
Hooboy.
I had four (Timesplittes, Tekken Tag, Street Fighter EX 3, and Gungriffon Blaze )
For my birthday I bought:
Barbarian
Hypersonic Extreme
Rygar
Shifters
Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution
Wipeout Fusion
X-men Legends
Yu Yu Hakusho Dark Tournement
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance
Defender
DOA 2 Hardcore
Gun
Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy
X-men Legends 2
Power Drome
Red Faction
Red Faction 2
Maximo
Soul Caliber 2
Shadow of the Collusus.

So I got 22 PS2 games for the birthday for a total of 26 (as opposed to my wife who has something like 60 - almost completely RPGs)

Now one of the nice things about not feeling the need to get the newest game RIGHT NOW, is that I'll let games slide into the "greatest hits" status and thus become SRP $20. Or buy them used. Or wait for sales. Or all of the above. My total cost for the 22 game I bought was under 200 dollars.. I think the average game cost was somewhere around 8 bucks.

So now I have a whole bunch of nifty stuff to play. :)

Next - saving up for a ram upgrade on my current computer, or to just get a new one. I need a really speedy processor and some decent RAM to run the Saturn Emulator at full speed, and I miss playing Radiant Silvergun (and yes I have an actual copy that I bought at normal price when it was first out... and no I won't sell it).


Let the Video Gaming commence.

Oh yeah, I also ordered all the CD singles for the band The Darkness - each one has two non album B sides*, so with the 5 singles for thier first album, that is an entire 'nother CD. Plus one from thier second album. 12 new songs - Woohoo.

* Well one has a couple of remixes, I ignored that one.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Bargain shopping is cool, especially on the internet.

If I ever get a PS2, I'll have to borrow some of those. I've been interested to see the X-Men games.

dilliwag said...

Curtis, have you played the PS2 Battlestar Galactica game? I've been thinking of getting a PS2 just to give that game a whirl. With the PS2 at $130, I figure I might as well get a console.

Lord Mhoram said...

Dilliwag, I hadn't even heard of it.

Whether I'd want to play it depended on the approach of the game. Strip out all the soap opera and make it a good space shooter, I'd be happy.