Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Calm and relaxed

Music Memoirs' Tuesday tunes

What is the best music to chill out too?
I have three kinds of music for that purpose.
1) a collection of new age, mellow electronica and light jazz instrumental stuff. George Winston, Mannheim Steamroller, Cusco, Tangerine Dream... that sort of stuff

2) novelty and humorous music. If I need to relax, nothing helps more than a smile. The mix includes things like Jonathon Coulton, Wierd Al, Ray Stevens, Barenaked Ladies, No More Kings, Cake, They Might be Giants.

3) Paradoxically Heavy Metal can chill me out. If it is older stuff (80's era) that I listened to a lot in HS - the familiarity can help mellow me out. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister, Motely Crue, Poison, Ratt, Scorpions.

What artist do you think of when you see the word "calm"?

George Winston. His solo piano works are something I can always calm down to. If you don't know his work, highly recommended.

How does music help you to become calm or more relaxed?
I answered some of that above. Familiarity breed content. Soothing music soothes. Singing stuff helps me relax as well.

1 comment:

Natsthename said...

My comments aren't taking! I hate blogger sometimes.

What I did say was that Winston is very calming, and my son used to love falling asleep to it when he was a baby!