Friday, November 21, 2008

Splurging today

From the Music Memiors

Top 5 reasons you splurge on a purchase of music.

This one should be interesting.. I had to think about this one. I think of splurge as at least 3 or more CDs at the same time (I don't buy digital music much).

1) - New Artist. I have a quirky taste in music, which crosses many genres, as any long term reader of this blog knows. When I find an artist/group I really like I really get into them.. because it doesn't happen that often. When it does, I'll buy one album, and if that is a hit, I'll go get the rest of the stuff from them. This happened recently with Brad Paisley - I got his 5th album, loved it, then bought the rest.

2) - New Genre / exploring a genre. Similar to above, I find a new style of music I like and just go nuts getting single albums from bands to survey the genre. I did this with Europowermetal (I likely have 50 CDs of that stuff now), Modern Progressive Rock in 1999/2000. Neoswing. And most recently Goth/Metal (and/or Beauty and the Beast) bands. I'm getting the urge to do something similar with country music of the last 15 years, something I never really listened to, but really like now. I sense a lot of greatest hits collections in my future.

3) - Freaking out the store clerk - Yeah this one is silly, but I do it occasionally. I have money I have earmarked for music, because I want some new music dang it! But no real idea what stuff I want, so I'll go to the CD shop and get 5 or 8 CDs (usually used) that span as many genres. I remember one time I picked up some that had Janet Jackson, k d lang, some fusion Jazz, and a heavy metal cd. The clerk asked if I wanted any of them gift wrapped. :)

4) - The wife likes it. I tend to control the music in the house. If we hear something the wife enjoys, I tend to get it in a hurry to add it to the collection so she has more options she likes.

5) - Rock Band. This is my primary digital music purchases. And it isn't as much splurging and a steady money drain. I've got between 2 to 8 songs a week for nearly 9 months. I have over 150 songs downloaded for the game. It can get expensive. But I love it.

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I like your freaking out the clerk pick! I've done that a few times.

The Bumbles said...

Rock Band is awesome and highly addictive. Have only played it once at a party - and even then was looking for more songs to choose from. I can see how it could get pricey!