Tuesday, April 1, 2008

a couple of music memes

Tuesday Word Association from Music Memiors


Camera: Centerfold by the J Geils Band
Married: Lana Lane and Eric Norlander
Lost: Jimmy Barnes (great song on the Lost Boys soundtrack)
Grin: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (don't ask me why)
Rest: Enya
Environment: Kill the Poor (Dead Kennedys - all about using the Nuetron Bomb, the Environmentally friendly nuclear weapon)
Hippie: Jefferson Airplane
Betrayal: John Lennon (and Yoko)
Emotion: High on Emotions (Chris DeBurgh)
Dream: Theater. :)

And I missed Last Fridays meme as well which is:
Top 5 songs that you've loved the longest.

The first one is easy - The Prohphet's Song by Queen. It has a middle piece with Freddie doing vocals that overlap (using Brians timed echo boxes) that is recorded in stereok, with the echoes moving around the speakers. It was the first rock song I ever truly fell in love with (back in '77 I was 10). And is still one of my favorites today. The first actual music album I bought (as opposed to things like disney micky mouse albums and such) was Queen's a Night at the Opera, because of this song.

Taxman
by the Beatles. My parents had Revolver, and I always loved this song. Revovler is still my favorite Beatles album.
So Long Frank Lloyd Wright - Simon and Garfunkle. Another one my parents had. I love the vocal quality on this song, and melody is beautiful.
Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf. First song I loved off the album way back when. Really great, and still a favorite.
G Major Toccatta - Mannheim Steamroller. A really energetic piece played on Pipe Organ. My Favorite Mannheim Steamroller song, and possibly my favorite "new age" piece of all time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your list! Especially your choice of Jefferson Airplane. Oh...and for the Friday meme...your choice of that S&G song...WOW! It's been a million years since I've heard that song but I love it! It instantly popped into my head when I read it! :)

Natsthename said...

Ahh, good call on the J Geils song! That was a great 80's tune!!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

OK..I have to ask why John and Yoko for Betrayal?

Lord Mhoram said...

I'm in the camp that believes that is a major component to the breakup of the Beatles.

I don't really believe it, but the idea is there, and it was the first thing that came to mind. :)

Malcolm said...

I think I remember that Jimmy Barnes song that you listed. Even though I didn't see "The Lost Boys", somebody I knew had the soundtrack. The J. Geils Band and John Lennon made my list too, but for different words.