Thursday, April 24, 2008

Music back three

Music Memoirs

Top 5 Albums from 5 Consecutive Years (forward or backwards, starting with the year you were born, the year you graduated from high school, or whatever)

Married in 1989:
89 - Eric Clapton : Journeyman
90 - They Might Be Giants: Flood
91 - Harry Connick Jr: Red Light Blue Light
92 - Mary Chapin Carpenter: Come On Come On
93 - Crash Test Dummies: God Shuffled His Feet


What's the worst song you've heard in the past week?
Still haven't found what I am looking for - U2.
This song was so freaking overplayed, I wouldn't care if I never heard another U2 song as long as I live.

Have you ever bought an album thinking you'd love it, only to hate it? What was it?
Amon Amarth - from what I could tell the CD was a decent Europowermetal - But the vocals were annoying deathmetal Growl. Ick.

Are there any artists that you used to like but wish would just go away now?

I sorta liked a couple of Rolling Stone songs when I was younger, but as an adult I generally can't stand anything they do.

Top 5 break up songs
Don't You want me Baby - Human League
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
These two have a funny story. My first girlfriend dumped me (freshman in HS), and my Mom picked me up from school, and these two songs played back to back, while I was crying my eyes out.
Breaking up is hard to do - Neil Sedaka
Goodbye Earl - Dixie Chicks (well it's sort of a breakup song)
You're Breaking my Heart - Harry Nilson
Link to Youtube video that someone did - warning NSFW language

3 comments:

Malcolm said...

I used to work with a guy who looked like Brad Roberts (the lead singer of Crash Test Dummies). Your list made me think of their follow up to "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm", called "Afternoons and Coffeespoons". I hadn't heard that song in years until I now (I found the clip on You Tube). Thanks for the reminder.

Although I like some of their tunes, I have never been a big U2 fan. I think it has to do with Bono's "I'm more than just a rock star" posturing.

Sorry to hear about your high school breakup. Your ride home reminds me of the scene in "Better Off Dead" when John Cusack is in his car after being dumped and all he can get on the radio is breakup tunes.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I remember getting the Clapton. It's a shame that CD disappeared from my collection. I really loved it.

ShannonW said...

I enjoy listening to the "Crash Test Dummies"

"Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For" does get overplayed. And people STILL request it!

Tainted Love by Soft Cell is a great song.