Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Catching up

Just a number of short bits today.


Starting Sat night, I got sick. I'm still dealing with it. Glad my job is a work from home job, that I can do sitting at my computer, otherwise I would have missed a couple of days from work. I don't get sick that often, but when I do I tend to get really sick. Glad this one is on it's way out.


New Music!
In a thread on a messageboard, a like to a video was posted. A Canadian Hip-Hop artist, with heavy jazz influence. Watching the video, we had to get the album right away. The song in the link has been in heavy rotation.
I don't like Rap/Hip-Hop mostly due to the content of the lyrics, and I knew there were performers in the genre that didn't do the "bling, ho, kill" thing, but I wasn't going to wade through all the crap to get there. I found one. :)


Since I got the Phoenix, I have been looking at video games. I never really had a computer that could play games that well (well, old ones, and emulated nintendo and genesis stuff - which is fun), but now that I have one, I've been looking at recent games. One I had to pick up was Jade Empire

RPG with a martial arts theme as a major component and a fighting system that feels like a simplified Tekken (can move in 4 direction, block, normal attack, light attack). It has Ch'i powers (say, hold down left shift for healing). So it hits my "cool" factors multiple ways - I love fighting games, I love RPGs, I love martial arts stuff. I've been having fun getting started with this one.


Speaking of the Phoenix, since I got it, I've been reading up on Windows XP, with "power user" books from the library. So I made a nifty change, one that took hacking explorer.exe and it gets me a great bit of personalization.

Yep, I replaced my start button with the name of the computer, a little Phoenix head in place of the windows icon. :)
Between that and the dual toolbars and no icons on the desktop itself, my machine doesn't look all that much like a windows box. :) Which is fine with me.


Just finished reading an interesting book - Sir Apropos of Nothing. Fantasy comedy/drama with farce and intensity. There is drama in the humor, and it's one of Peter David's better works - and I generally have a love/hate opinion of his work, I'll like it for a while, then something really dumb happens for a while. This one had that, but not as much as the rest of his work. Recomended.

No comments: