Friday, September 14, 2007

I got to do it Friiiii-day

(with apologies to Frank Sinatra for the title).


Friday's Feast

Appetizer
When was the last time you visited a hospital?

I was in one a few months ago, because that was where my wife get's her allergy shots, but to actually visit the hospital part... about 4 or 5 years ago, when my mom was in there.

Soup
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how ambitious are you?

Ambiton, what's that. I'd probably say a 3 or so.

Salad

Make a sentence using the letters of a body part. (Example: (mouth) My other ukelele tings healthily.)

Kill? No, Educate, Enlighten. (okay not really a sentence, but I liked it)

Main Course
If you were to start a club, what would the subject matter be, and what would you name it?

Society for the Associated Gamers Elite (SAGE). It would be a roleplaying club. :)

Dessert
What color is the carpet/flooring in your home?

Is Ugly a color? An old and dirty brown, that was likely a golden color in the 70s.



The Music Memiors

Top 5 depressing songs.

'39 by Queen - Night at the Opera.
A bright and shiny tune about a spaceship full of people who go looking for a planet to colonize because Earth is dieing. The ships hits relativistic speeds, and they come back a year later their time, but 100 years have passed on Earth. The end of the song is a man meeting his progeny, and missing his wife.

But my love this cannot be
Oh so many years have gone
Though I'm older than a year
Your mothers eyes from your eyes cry to me

Write your letters in the sand
For the day Ill take your hand
In the land that our grand-children knew

All your letters in the sand
Cannot heal me like your hand
For my life still ahead pity me

Kayleigh by Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (which with Floyd's the Wall is one of the most depressing alubms ever made).

Bad Breakup, but the poetry and music of Fish and the Guys just take it to higher levels of pain.

Please excuse me, I never meant to break your heart.
So sorry I never meant to break your heart.
But you broke mine.
Kayleigh is it too late to say I'm sorry.
Kayleigh could we get it together again.
I can't go on pretending that it came to a natural end.
Kayleigh I never thought I'd miss you,
and Kayleigh I'd hoped that we'd always be friends.
We said our love would last forever,
so how did it come to this bitter end.

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - The Wall.
There are so many to pick from, but I went with this one.

There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ships smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I cant hear what youre sayin.
When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb.

The last two are more songs of longing and loss that strait depression, but to me that fits:

I spoke as a Child - Todd Snider - Songs for the Daily Planet
Longing for peace and simplicity of youth.

When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.
I'd like to find that old time feelin',
Somewhere in between what I've become,
Somewhere down the line it must have seemed appealing,
So I suppose that it must work for some,
But I wanna go back to going crazy,
Believing every word that I was told,
You know sometimes growing up I think I'm getting wiser
And then other times I think I'm getting old.

When I was a child I spoke as a child,
But all I heard was how I should get ahead.
Now growing up it ain't anything but all this
Indecision with these debts and doubts and
Worries hangin' over my head.
When I was a child I spoke as a child,
I wish I could remember what I said.

Somewhere over the Rainbow - Judy Garland - Wizard of Oz.

This one really needs no explination, but... a song of longing for happy and simple things, things that the singer does not have.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?
Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemondrops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow
Bluebirds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly
Beyond the rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Queen pick! (huge Queen fan here) Brian wrote some great lyrics for that song.

I thought about picking "Love Of My Life" off that album--the combination of the lyrics, Freddie's singing, and Brian's guitar orchestrations make that one a total downer.

aaronsmusic said...

Great feast, and great list of songs! Thanks for stopping by my site.

Natsthename said...

I swear, Rainbow always causes me to tear up, especially the version by Iz or the one by Eva Cassidy. Great picks!

Nita said...

Great feast! Mine is up too. Hope you can visit me. Have a great week!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Kayleigh is such a gorgeous song. Love it! Great picks.