Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sidebar update 1

I've decided that when I update my music sidebar, I'll post about it, and comment on my choices.

Lifetime music awards gained two new Powermetal choices this week. Rhapsody - Symphony for enchanted lands. Now this is the first Rhapsody I ever heard, and was completely impressed. After I heard a few others, I realized that they all sound fairly samey, but this was the first. The opening two tracks, a short intro piece, and the full song* just blew me away. Opens with a classical feel, and a male chorus, and then the song proper kicks in with great thrash guitars, and the male chorus stayed. I love the mix of the hard rock and the orchestral.

Also added there is Krypteria. I've only had this one a few months, but it is an album I go back to often. Most of the female led powermetal bands have a goth type feel to them, but this one is pure strait ahead powermetal. I love it. :)

Music of the week:
Feeling in a powermetal mood, and looking for female vocalists I bought a number of new CDs. Two of which are listed here. Goth/Powermetal stuff with female vocalist. Each album has at least one "beauty and the beast"** song. Leaves' Eyes EP I got is my favorite, I will be getting more from them in the near future.

The other is Antsy McClain - Trailercana. Alt country with a sense of humor. The song that sold me on the CD was "I was just flipped off by a silver haired old lady with a honk if you love Jesus sticker on the bumper of her car". Great stuff, slices of trailer park America with a very nice mood to it.


* Having an extended intro piece, then the song is a staple of Powermetal. I usually make them one track when I make the MP3s of the stuff.

** Two vocalist - one a guy doing the growling nu-metal stuff (which I genreally don't like), and a second female vocalist doing soaring operatic vocals. The contrast just makes her voice sound that much better.

No comments: