Saturday, September 6, 2008

Seeing things in a whole new way

A short story leading up to something new and fun for me.

The wife is going back to University. She is only a semester and a half away from her BS in English (yes BS not BA). She had to stop going to school over a decade ago due to her health issues, and her needing to work for us to make ends meet.
Well, we are in a situation that she can go back. So she is.
Meanwhile, her computer has been starting to go. Not recognizing discs, not booting properly. Mouse and/or keyboard quitting at random intervals. She wanted to get a laptop (for use in her upcoming enrollment in school). But we didn't have the money for a new computer right now.
Then at my second job (Blockbuster), they take out the laptops that have been in the store for a year or 2; they were there to facilitate access to Blockbuster Online. We are not pushing that (as a matter of fact we are trying to get away from it). So the company decided to run a sales contest and the winner got the computer.
The manager decided to have it go to whoever sold the most passes per hour worked.
I have always been the number 2 sales person at that store*. I only work 9 to 12 hours a week. I outperform full time people. The only person that sold more than I did was the manager.
Well, I went into overdrive, and won the laptop for the wife. First thing I had ever won like that.
So the wife has a laptop for school, and we pulled all the info off of her old computer and put it on an external HD. Then she put the desktop off in a corner. And she saw her monitor sitting there unused next to her laptop, and decided to try it with two monitors. And it works, and she has been doing that for the last 2 weeks. Then she comes up to me and says "You know, I don't really need a 17 inch monitor when I run two of them, why don't we swap". So this morning she and I swapped monitors (I had a 15 inch - we always gave her the bigger monitor because she uses up more screen real estate than I do when using the computer).

So all of that was to say I have a new bigger monitor!!! Woohoo!!! I never would have thought that the extra 2" would have made a difference, but they have. It allowed me to move up to the next higher resolution, and keep things roughly where I like them.

And my games look amazing. :)

* I generally don't like selling, but the things we are supposed to push at Blockbuster are different kinds of upgraded rental plans - and depending on how the person rents movies, they can save them money - so I have no qualms trying to sell something that saves them money. :)

1 comment:

dilliwag said...

Nicely done! I've never won anything like that either. In the one sales related position I ever held, I consistently finished near the bottom of the heap.