Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesdays tunes

From the Music Memiors

Word associations for this week. Just tell us what artist/band/song comes to mind when you see these words:

Storm: Riders on the Storm -Doors
Rain: Have you ever Seen the Rain - Bonnie Tyler
Old: Rolling Stones
Magic: Black Magic Woman - Santan
Angst: Pearl Jam
Trust: True - Spandue Ballet (don't ask me why)
True: True Colors - Cyndi Lauper
Broken: Petra (long story there - see below)
Cheesy: Richard Cheese
Family: Statler Brothers


It was my first year of college (and at the time I was a really strong agnostic) and I had a friend who was Christian and trying to convert me. He took me to one concert/stand up comedy act that was Christian (of some Protestant stripe or another). A good deal of the focus of the thing (in a lighthearted way) was original sin, and how we are not perfect, and have to have Christ's love. I wrote a poem (I was 19, and and an English major, how else would I react) called "Are we Broken?"
This was roughly the same time someone else got me hooked on Christian Rock - notably Petra, and this correlation is the connection to the above answer.

As a note - no I don't think humans are "broken" - we are imperfect, but that is all.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Well, we got 1.5 the same this week. Not bad! Interesting story on Petra, too. I had no idea.

Natsthename said...

We overlapped on several accounts, including Mr. CHeese himself. Love that you picked True Colors, too.

janey jay said...

Great list -- that Doors song is a personal favorite.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty funny that you have old for the Rolling Stones, so true.
I had True also and True Colors.

The Gal Herself said...

Love your response to "old" ...

ShannonW said...

Very nice list! I like many of the ones you listed.