Thursday, September 11, 2008

Top Five on Thursday Night

Top 5 albums in your music collection right now:

Nothing new has grabbed me in the last few months - so these are the most played in my mix right now.

Fire Of Unknown Origin by Blue Oyster Cult:


The best BOC album (although Agents of Fortune comes very very close). Not a dud on the album, and it has Veteran of the Psychic Wars, Sole Survivor, Burning for You and Joan Crawford. I've recently been into this album a lot.

Butchers Ballroom by Diablo Swing Orchestra


A really odd mix of Heavy Metal, Swing with a little Avant Guard thrown in (as if mixing Metal and Swing wasn't enough). The songs and high energy and really interesting. I love music that takes chances and isn't in the mainstream. This one definitely fits.

Pat Benatar - Go


Her most recent album, and it really returns to her rockin' roots. Just like Wide Awake in Dreamland was a breath of fresh air after the few before it, Go is a really strong album. I love the chances she takes in her music with a more modern sound on a few of the tracks. The ballads are great, and the title song really rocks out.

Asia - Phoenix



My friend Mike turned me onto this album. The classic line up re-united. And the albums is good. I place it just behind their first in quality. I love Eric Norlander, and expect to really enjoy the Asia Featuring ... that has him as keyboardist and co-songwriter, but it is really nice to hear the classic Asia sound.

Nickleback - All the Right Reasons



This albums just rocks. Nickleback gets slammed in the rock press and by the internet as talentless hacks, but I don't think so. I've enjoyed just about everything they have done, and this one is their best. Photograph and Rockstar are likely know by most, but they are nowhere near the best on the albums - Animal is a lust song with a driving beat (I can't say a love song.. that really doesn't enter into it). Fight For all the Wrong Reasons is good, and I love Next Contestant - about a guy who is really tired of beating up other guys who come on to his girlfriend at the bar she works at Withe the chorus of:
s that your hand on my girlfriend?
Is that your hand?
I wish you’d do it again
I’ll watch you leave here limping
I wish you’d do it again
I’ll watch you leave here limping
There goes the next contestant
You know it's going to be a fun song.

In October I hope to have a new one - The Cosmos Rocks by Queen + Paul Rodgers comes out. Queen is my favorite band, and with Brian and Roger (John is staying retired) in the studio with Paul, writing new stuff, I am really excited about what may come.
The first single off the album C-lebrity feels like Queen. I am really enthused.

Take a listen

2 comments:

Natsthename said...

I didn't even know Pat Benatar HAD a new cd!! Cool! I'm going to see if I can find an online listen to sample it!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I've been meaning to get that Benatar album since it came out. What I heard of it was excellent