Thursday, July 12, 2007

100 !!!!

Well, my 100th blogpost.

And I've done some ranting recently (notably the Star Wars rant (which was actually way over the top, I was just annoyed about Mara and vented)), that is fairly negative, so I decided to be a bit more positive. So this post is a listing of some of my favorites in different things, movies, Music, TV, etc.

Movies:

My favorite movie of all time is Chariots of Fire. I have loved the contrast between the characters, the story, and the selflessness of certain characters. You see sportsmanship unlike anything you would expect today. The stance on faith and devotion is also very nice.

Star Wars - the original. Forget the two sequels, forget the prequel trilogy, this movie was amazing in it's own right, and is still a breath of fresh air today. Basic, simple, and joyous, it is something I can watch again and again and again.

Rapid Fire is my favorite martial arts movie. I love the action, the subtext, and Brandon Lee's performance. His death was a loss.

Superman
. The original Chris Reeve/Richard Donner. It is still the superhero movie that I measure all superhero movies against, and I have yet to see any reach it. Real emotion, great acting, and the mood perfectly captured the character.

The Quiet Man.
Now I generally do not like John Wayne. This is the only movie of his I really like, but oh do I like it. My wife introduced me to it, and it is oft rewatched, and enjoyed. It is actually the movie I have on in the background as I write this.

Music:

Queen
- My favorite band of all time. Virtuosos in their instruments, great showmen, and great songwriters all. Every member of the band wrote a number one song. Incredible versatility - they have on one album a barbershop quartet, and then another a heavy metal song. The first adult music album I ever purchased with my own money (as opposed to Disney stuff or novelty collections) was Queen's A Night at the Opera, and it still my favorite album of all time.


Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers
are a band I found by accident. My mom took us to John Fogerty and they opened for him. I bought the two CDs they had for sale there based on one and half songs. Great southwest flavored strait ahead rock.

Rocket Scientists (and related solo stuff). This is a band I got based on their name. I had found a thriving progressive rock community online, so I went a progressive rock label and ordered two albums pretty much at random - I liked the names of the bands (The other was Illuvatar which introduced me to Neo-prog). I love their music, their songwriting and the lyrics.

Pat Benatar - My favorite rocker from the 80s, and I also love her more recent stuff. Highly underrated.


Mannheim Steamroller
- the band that got me into “New Age” music, and as a side note, jazz and generally all form of instrumental music except soundtracks. They were my instrumental gateway drug.


Television

Babylon 5. Simply the greatest Science Fiction television show ever made. Beginning middle and end. Great characters, great story, great dialog. I just love everything about this show, and I love every character, including the bad guys - they were so much fun to hate. Especially Bester.

Night Court- my second favorite sitcom, and my favorite American one. It can get a little racy sometimes, but I have rarely laughed out loud as much as I did when I watched this show.


The Good Life
(or Good Neighbors in the US). The best sitcom I have ever seen. Four primary characters, and the show made stars of them all. Self Sufficiency in Surbiton.

Yu Yu Hakusho - okay yeah I listed an anime here, but it was the show that got me into anime, based on my wife's recommendation. I still enjoy re-watching it. Kuwabara rocks!

Heroes. It's only done one season, but the season was the most amazing season of television I have ever seen. The show may go downhill later, but the first season may be the single greatest single season of television ever made.

Books

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. These books are where I got my internet handle (Mhoram/Lord Mhoram). I have never identified with any character in any books as much as I did with Covenant when I first read these in high school. My absolute favorite fantasy.

Videssos Cycle by Harry Turtledove. A Roman legion, and a Celt end up in a fantasy world. 4 books, and completely engrossing. Some of the funnest books I have ever read.

Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons. These four books are to SF what Lord of the Rings were to Fantasy - deep, poetic, and intense. Some of the best SF I have ever read.

Doc Sidhe / Sidhe Devil
- These books are light fun by Aaron Allston, but some of the best light fun I have ever read. Fantasy/Pulp/Martial Arts. Fun fun stuff.

The Drageara books by Steven Brust - The Vlad books, the Khaavren romances and Brokedown palace. I love the world, and I love the characters.

No comments: