Friday, July 27, 2007

I've got a job.. well actually I have two

Recently the wife and I were looking at things, and decided that we want to do something special for our 20th anniversary in little under two years. We also decided I needed to get out more - I've been working in the home for 2 years, and it is sedentary, and has no real social aspect.

So in the last few weeks I have been looking for a second job - one that I could do 16 or 20 hours a week, and earn some extra money*. So I sent off a number of applications early last week. One of them was an online Ap that I filled out on a Thursday. On Saturday I was in the store I had applied to, and saw the manager, and talked to her. I have 12 years retail experience, half in management. I would seem overqualified for what I was applying for so I wanted to let her know, to be aware. We chatted for about 10 minutes, and she said she'd keep her eye out.

So I get a call Monday from another place for an interview on Fri (Today). So I go into that one, and I feel I really nailed it, that the job was mine. Then I call the manager I chatted with, and talked to her, and she had forwarded my app on to another manager who needed good help more than she did (and I wanted this job much more than the other one I interviewed). The second manager called me, and I drove on down and we chatted. The first manager had already run my background check, and considered our chat in the aisle a first interview.

I was hired today.

So in less than two weeks - three apps out, two places interview, one new job.

I have really strong credentials for the kind of jobs I was applying at, and I figured I would be hired right away. It is very heartening to see that I was right. Very nice for the ego.

Another thing that was pretty cool - because this is an extra job for extra fun money, I had no pressure. If they couldn't do what I wanted, I could turn them down.

So now I have a part time job at Blockbusters. :) Pretty cool for a movie geek like myself.

* Plus I have way to many DVDs I want to buy. :)