Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Wednesday Morning musings

First off - go over to Rhetorical Imprints. Dilliwag is looking for predictions for the 7th Harry potter book - (and no spoilers if you have run into them on the web).

Cover album madness -

I recently got 6 different cover albums - one from Def Leppard, Poison, Tesla and Rod Stewart (not the American Songbooks which are on my list, but "Still the Same") and two from Barry Mainlow.
This is a growing trend in music, that established artists do an album of influences and favorites, with Styx, Toto, Rush and Shaw/Blades all having done so in the last few years.

Personally I love this stuff. I like hearing the take on such things by artists who I know and like, to see what they have to give to the song. The Shaw and Blades one has some of the best I've heard - and Barry's 50s disc is perfect - his voice just really matches the material.I was pleasantly surprised by the Rod Stewart. And the harder ones of the recent acquisitions, there are 2 Sweet covers. :)

Personally I hope this trend continues.

No comments: