Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Star Wars is Dead to me.

Spolers follow, if you don't want them stop reading.

Edit: The following is an over the top rant, and is more in the nature of venting displeasure than in serious commentary.

In the current novel series, Jacen is going sith, and he (or he and his Sith master) kills Mara Jade. In the comic series set 100 years after Lukes only bloodline is a smuggler (tatooed no less -ick) and wants to have nothing to do with the force.

Star Wars is supposed to be about fun, where is the fun in that?

I gave up on the prequel comics and novels a while ago. For whatever problems the movies may have had, the comics and novels were much worse. Badly written, and badly executed. The whole Vong thing was ill concieved, especially killing off Chewebacca, but I forced myself through it. It sucked. And don't get me started on the Clone Wars animated - man the animation there looks like rejects from the old “Droid” stuff. Ick Ick Ick. That is one of the problems with modern animation (American more than japanese) -- it is so stylized - can't anyone animate people that actually look like people?

I mean, Star Wars is about fun, a rolliking good ride. The prequel movies were a formal tragedy that we already knew the ending to, but it was fun as well.

Chewbacca was killed because the people who were making it wanted the audience to feel like anyone could die at any moment. Well so what. Did you actually have that feeling for any of the main characters in any of the Star Wars movies- Heck No!

So I will take my 6 movies, and the Han Solo Trilogy by Brian Daley, and the Lando books by L Neil Smith, and the good stuff of the post RotJ pre-Vong books (Basically anything by Stackpole, Allston or Zahn) and I will enjoy them, and hope for the best in the upcoming TV series - it has Lucas behind it, and to be honest after the crap the books and comics are giving us, that is a good thing.

I mocked the prequel haters. If this is how they felt, I take it all back.

7 comments:

Joe said...

Agree with most of what you're saying. I differ with you on episodes one through three. They were bad (especially two and three). But I love the animated Clone Wars. I know you don't like stylized animation, but it was right up my alley and about eight times better than Attack of the Clones.

Joe said...

Star Trek is dead to me, by the way. I woke up one day, read an article by Orson Scott Card and realized Star Trek had been sucking for, oh, forty years. Trek is so juvenile and the propaganda that oozed out of TNG and DS9 have, in hindsight, completey ruined it for me. Star trek is dead to me. Star trek XI coming up? Who cares?

Lord Mhoram said...

Oh no - and you liked trek.

Yeah, the over stylized animation just hurts my eyes.

dilliwag said...

I loved Clone Wars animated and enjoy most of the expanded universe adventures. Death happens. That's all part of the balance of the Force. While I didn't particularly enjoy the deaths of Mara Jade and Chewie, they did serve a purpose in the narrative.

Keep on making the Star Wars! I'm enjoying it all.

Lord Mhoram said...

Chewbacca was killed for shock value. Nothing more. They as much as said so.

Maybe Mara's death was decent and done well, but she was my favorite EU character. As for the balance of the force, feh!

Star Wars to me is about escapism. The creators of the EU material don't see it that way, so I will ignore what they do. The prequels are Oscar worthy movies compared to what is going on in the EU since the Vong and the prequel books.

Blech blech blech.
Rant rant rant.

Lord Mhoram said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lord Mhoram said...

For those of you who like it (like Dilliwag), cool! Enjoy it. But it has been taken in a direction I feel no need to go.

To sum up my feelings - the EU isn't fun anymore, and fun is the main reason I like Star Wars.

If it isn't fun anymore, why bother?