Monday, March 26, 2007

Taking the plunge

I've been wanting to go Microsoft free for years, but I was never comfortable with other op systems - and Macs costs to dang much for the equivalent hardware. And while I've been a computer geek, it's mostly on the user side, and the only command line I know is Dos - no experience with Unix or Linux.

At work the boss is tired of the problems with Microsoft on the work computers, so next month the big project was going to be playing around on laptops with different Linux distros. I got really enthused by this. Part of the reason for the enthusiam was that I am not making the switch to Vista.

So I jumped the gun. :)

This post is being done while logged into my computer running Ubuntu Linux.

I now have a dual boot computer - with my XP I've always had, and I just cleaned out a 40 gig HD for Linux. I am using this as a way to get comfortable with the op system, to see if it can do all the things I need, and if so, when I upgrade (or get a new computer), it will be bye bye MS and hello Linux.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Fight the Power, man!!