Thursday, March 29, 2007

From the Ashes, a Pheonix

My primary hard drive crashed yesterday. Screwed up boot sector. It's in the shop, hopefully they can image out the data, I'll know Fri or Sat.

I've been planning to get a new computer, but the time hasn't been right. Fate forced my hand, so I went over what to get for a computer when I dropped it off to get fixed. This is what I decided on:

3500 Athlong 64 (roughly a 2.3 or 2.4 Ghz micro), 1 gig of ddr2 memory, 250 GB HD (16 MB cache), a Geoforce 7300 256 GB PCIE video card, plus out of my old computer - the largest HD (160 GB) my CD burner, and another USB card (so I'll have something like 7 USB slots).
Total cost, built and with op system* installed: 650. More than we want to spend now, but we figure it is better to get what I was planning on buying now, rather than a quick repair and a new one later.

Odd notes -
It is very strange being mostly computerless. This is being done in the work miniMac thatI have - it can do browsing, and the stuff I need for work, but not much else.
I felt like a pet died when the computer went down. That says something, not sure what.
Since I do use the computer for business, I'm thinking about saving the reciept and declaring it on taxes.
The machine I am getting can actually run Oblivion. Not at recomended #s, but is can run it (The processor is about a third of the way from "required" to "recomended", I have the memory, and the card is only a step below recomended). Given I love Morrowind, I just may get this one. :)

* Win XP Home SP2. I was enjoying Ubuntu, and was seriously thinking about switching, but when push came to shove, it just can't do the games I like to play, so as I am a video gamer, in addition to everything else, I'm sticking with XP. No Vista though - no way no how.

So I had some back luck - at least I didn't try to burn my kitchen down.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Oh, now that's just mean.