Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tron

For the record Tron is one of my favorite movies of all time. Possibly my favorite SF movie (yes even more than Star Wars). I saw it in the theater something like 50 times. When it was at the really fancy theater* I saw it 5 or 6 times. Then it hit the local dollar theater. There was the Tron video game (which I was a master of), and if you got a certain score they let you into the movie free. After the fifth time, they just said I could come in free for each showing. I watched every showing (two on weekdays, 5 on Sat and Sun) that week. :)

Well, I bought a 3-D card for my compter a while ago. I bought it for 1 reason (well other games would be cool too, but specifically for this one). Tron 2.0.

I finally sat down and played it for a good two hours tonight. I was in heaven.

It's also really interesting to see that current home PC software can render in real time to loook excatly like the backgrounds and ships in the movie.

* one of the things this theater did - The film was shipped with 35 and 70 mil prints - for one purpose (for those that still had the 70 projectors) - when Flynn went into the computer world, the cameras switched from 35 to 70 mil. Things got much sharper and clearer. Not quite the B&W vs Color in Wizard of Oz, but nifty none the less.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Dilliwag was also a master of Tron back in the day. It'd be fun to get the two of you together and watch you play.

As for me, I pretty much sucked rocks on that game--and every other game except Battle Zone.