Saturday, June 23, 2007

A rather humorous exchange

This came up on a message board I frequent - the question was how we felt about the Ghost Rider movie, to which I replied


Ghost Rider. I enjoyed it - gonna buy it. I considered it in the top of the "middle pack" of superhero movies. You know below Superman Returns, Batman Begins, X2, but above X3, the Spider-man movies, Daredevil. Somewhere about on par with the Fantastic Four.

And that got these two responses

Whoa, hang on a second. Are you ranking the Spider-Man movies below Ghost Rider?
And
Wait you liked Fantastic Four more than the Spiderman movies???

To which I responded (in two separate posts)

I walked out of Spider-man one wanting my money and my two hours back. Watching it on DVD, skipping about half an hour, or 45 minutes of it, and I think it is okay. Skipped Spidey 2 in theater, watched it once on DVD since, once it moved off new release. Same thing. The POV swinging shots gave me motions sickness, and there was way too much pathos and "lets dump on Peter" evern for Spider-man, where pathos is part of the point (and I generally never read Spider-man comics because there was too much pathos, the movies were even worse).

I watched Ghost Rider a couple of days ago (rental) play to buy it next week and will watch it again. I watch FF every couple of months. I've only bothered with Spider-Man 2 once.

So yeah, I do. I loathed the Spider-man movies with disgust that amounts to absolute detestation.

For me, Ghost Rider was a better movie, as was FF, all the X-movies, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, the Classic Superman: The Movie and Superman 2, the first Burton Batman, Daredevl, The Incredibles, Unbreakable, Mystery Men...ect ect. Heck aside from the visually poor ending, I'd rank the Hulk over Spiderman.

I skipped Spidey 3 in the theaters, I'll rent it on DVD when it's a cheap rental. I plan to see Rise of the Silver Surfer next week.

1 comment:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I barely tolerated the first Spidey. I liked Batman actually only for the Elfman score.