Saturday, June 16, 2007

Women in the Front

I've always enjoyed rock bands with a female lead vocalist. Pat Benatar is one of my favorite singers of all time, and I love Lana Lane, enjoy Heart, Lita Ford, Joan Jett. However rock has usually been a male dominated music genre.

When I first got into progressive rock, I had discovered Plato's Halo on MP3.com (still waiting for their fist album, but I down have 6 songs they have put up over the years for download). That was also when I discovered Lana, and a whole subgenre of Goth/Metal - Beauty and the Beast. Music is dark, gothic or very metal, and there are two vocalists - a deathmetal/numetal growler and a female singer doing beautiful almost operatic style vocals above it. I loved the contrast. When I first heard Evanescence on the raido my first thought was “They are playing the kind of music I listen to on the radio?!?!.” That doesn't happen often

Recently I have been really listening to my Eurometal stuff, that I have been getting an album here, an album there over the last 3 or 4 years. And a number of them are female led. So mostly this post is celebrating the female led rock/metal bands I have listened to, liked, or discovered in the last 5 or so years.

Give a listen to (bolded bands are the most recommended)
After Forever.
Lacuna Coil
Within Temptation
Sins of Thy Beloved
Almora
Stream of Passion
Oratory
Arwen
Nightwish
Fireflight
Tristiana
Krypteria
Therion
Theater of Tragedy
Edenbridge


And thanks to the Mistress, who spawned this post with an offhand comment on her blog.

2 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

The Wilson sisters are wonderful. Have you heard Vanilla Ninja? There one of my sister's favorite bands. I can't remember if they hail from Germany or Russia...

Lord Mhoram said...

No, I don't know Vanilla Ninja - I'll go looking for some.
Thanks.