Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Workin' out (well at least sorta)

I am hideously out of shape*. Not quite 6 foot, and not quite 300 lbs. For years I had a mediumly active job - I worked a C-store - On my feet of full shifts, moving around, cleaning etc. I now have a sedentary job. Add to the fact that I have taken martial arts off and on for years, but the in the last while it has been more off than on.

I've been feeling it.

So at the start of the year, my new years resolution was to completely give up candy. Which I have done. I did this to make myself for for fruit and such when I want something sweet.

Well, I felt I needed some more activity. So I've started a short little workout each morning. Only about 10 to 15 minutes, but I figure I can keep that little up.

I do about 5 minutes of intense aerobics (body twists, jumping jacks, punches, arm swings, and short fast kicks). Then I stretch for about 5 minutes. Then I do crunches (5 count crunches) both normal and side, then I do pushups**, and once that is something I can do, I was going to add squat thrusts and some isometric muscle building stuff. I have something of a bad knee so running or stairs are out.

I'm hoping that this will help my depression, and also help my health in general.


* Okay, cue the gag about round being shape.
** I managed all of about 10 pushups today. That is really a big signal of how out of shape I am in. When preparing for my blackbelt test I could do 50 no sweat. Sigh.

No comments: